Summer Movies I Want to See, 2013 Part 2
My fifth annual list of summer movies, the June edition. Monsters U and Man of Steel are the two wide-release films I’m interested in this month. For previews and synopses, go to Rotten Tomatoes Upcoming Movies.
- The Bling Ring – June 14 – Sophia Coppola takes on the crime caper genre with Emma Watson and Leslie Mann.
- In the Fog – June 14 – USSR, 1942. A rail worker is arrested during German occupation. Palme d’Or nominee.
- Call Me Kuchu – June 14 – Documentary follows David Kato – Uganda’s first openly gay man – and fellow activists as they fight stop a bill that will make homosexuality punishable by death.
- A Hijacking – June 21 – A danish cargo ship is hijacked by Somali pirates. An award-winning thriller.
- *Monsters University – June 21 – The prequel to Monsters, Inc.
- Much Ado About Nothing – June 7 – Joss Whedon’s take on Shakespeare, shot in 12 days in black and white at his LA home.
- Pandora’s Promise – June 12 – An environmentalist’s take on nuclear technology and a balanced approach to tackling energy in the future. Trailer below.
- *Man of Steel – June 14 – Zack Snyder, the director of Watchmen and 300, takes on the Superman story. Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Russell Crowe, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner.
- Laurence Anyways – June 28 – French Canadian drama about trans-woman’s journey. Currently available on DVD.
- A Band Called Death – June 28 – Documentary about an all-black punk band, before punk existed.
Additional sources: The New York Times Summer Movie Release Schedule. IndieWIRE’s Summer Movie Preview: The 50 Indies You Must See (in 5 parts, alphabetical order): 1: A-C, 2: D-G, 3: H-Much, 4: Mud-So, 5: Sp-Y. Includes trailers inline where available.
* Wide release films.