Woodstock 1969 official compilation releases
I’ve spent the last couple of months obsessively researching recordings from the 1969 “Woodstock Music & Art Fair.” The spreadsheet here is primarily for people wondering which compilation release(s) they can purchase to hear or watch specific Woodstock performances – and to the best of my knowledge I’ve listed individual-artist releases in the Notes column. Download Woodstock 1969 Official Compilation Releases (2017).xlsx 33 KB.
There is a continuing debate about song order (and proper song names) since the complete master tapes have never been released. The Woodstock movie is edited out of order, and even performances by one artist are spliced to pieces, notably Hendrix’s set.
Please let me know if there are any corrections I can make on this spreadsheet. I’ve done a lot of research, but there are bound to be mistakes. Google Sheets version embedded below:
- Scheduled for 3 days, starting Friday August 15th, but ended up going until close to noon on Monday.
- 32 acts in approximately 312 “tracks” plus invocation by Swami Satchidananda. Many producers have attempted to release the entire festival recordings, but for various reasons, 106 of these tracks have remained locked up – even in bootleg form there are still 29 missing tracks.
- Keef Hartley‘s performance has never been officially released in any form.
- No video of Sweetwater.
- Out-of-print or hard-to-find videos: The Band; Blood, Sweat & Tears; The Incredible String Band (only a short segment of one song); Quill; Ravi Shankar; Tim Hardin; and Bert Sommer.
- FRIDAY 5pm – Richie Havens, Sweetwater, Bert Sommer, Tim Hardin, Ravi Shankar, Melanie, Arlo Guthrie, Joan Baez
- SATURDAY noon – Quill, Country Joe McDonald, Santana, John Sebastian, Keef Hartley Band, The Incredible String Band, Canned Heat, Mountain, Grateful Dead, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Janis Joplin w/ Kozmic Blues Band, Sly and the Family Stone, The Who, Jefferson Airplane
- SUNDAY 2pm – Joe Cocker & The Grease Band; Country Joe and the Fish; Ten Years After; The Band; Johnny Winter (w/ Edgar Winter); Blood, Sweat & Tears; Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
- MONDAY 6am – Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Sha Na Na, Jimi Hendrix / Gypsy Sun & Rainbows
Short URL to this page: zepfanman.com/woodstock