When I have others listen to the new release (it’s streaming for free on MySpace), the voice is an initial drawback. It really does take some time to get used to hearing a made-for-rock voice against a dance beat. While us “I love the 90s” folk appreciate the voice of Soundgarden, it’s not a trained voice. Cornell puts soul into his music, and that’s why so many people love him.
After a couple listens, though, you’ll gain a better appreciation for both Cornell and Timbaland’s talents. The music literally never stops as there is an interlude at the end of every song. One could conceivably have a Scream dance party, although the album doesn’t quite work in that respect. The intensity is consistent throughout and the songwriting is solid, too. The only line that I cringe at is, “We met at a party bout almost two years ago,” in “Other Side of Town” as it sounds a little too juvenile; the rest of the song makes up for it, though. The five songs bookended in the middle of the album by the first two singles (“Ground Zero” and “Scream”) really have a great flow. “Never Fall Away” is a ballad standout followed by the Indian-flavored “Take Me Alive”.
I’m curious to see what demographic this album clicks with the best and where we’ll be hearing it the most. I haven’t heard anyone call this a sellout album yet – Cornell is too down-to-earth to fall for that. This is a collaboration as impressive as Santana’s Supernatural, although it’s not quite as accessible. Give it a listen and see if you can stop yourself from dancing or singing along.
- myspace.com/chriscornell is streaming the full album for a limited time
- ChrisCornell.com is very active with a forum, blog, and lots of videos. See particularly the heartwarming story about the B-side “I Promise It’s Not Goodbye”, written with a fan.
- Chris Cornell is on Twitter: “So I am teitter challenged because I break and lose my phone a lot! Rocked Amsterdam an hour ago. Great people. Scream is a BLAST to play!!!”
- Remixes: The Hype Machine is a good aggregator, plus there’s already a Scream (Remix) video on the official site.
- Fav remix so far: Chris Cornell – Part of Me (DiscoTech Remix) (4:36) via GDD.
[audio:https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/666859/Part%20of%20Me%20%5BDiscoTech%20RMX%5D.mp3|titles=Part of Me (DiscoTech Remix) 4min36sec|artists=Chris Cornell]