I’ve posted on several categories of film in the past, in particular the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die annual list (my latest 1001 list was in November 2015). Here is a hodgepodge of stats, including my favorite films that were released in 2016 (films made available to me this year in Louisville, KY).
- 39: Movies on the 1001 Movies list I watched between November 2015 and October 2016. About ten of them I had seen before, but it had been close to ten years since I’d watched any of them. 50 the year previous, and 110 the year before that.*
- 405: Total movies I’ve seen from the 1001 Movies list.
- 174: Movies logged on my spreadsheet for the calendar year. I probably watched one or two dozen others that I didn’t bother adding to the spreadsheet for one reason or another. 150 in 2015, 251 in 2014.*
Zepfanman’s Top 20 of 2016
Best in genre: 13th (documentary), Sausage Party (comedy), Moonlight (drama), Sing Street (musical), Zootopia (kids), and Doctor Strange (action). In no particular order:
- Star Wars: Rogue One
- Sausage Party
- Eat that Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words
- Hunt for the Wilderpeople
- Kubo and the Two Strings
- 10 Cloverfield Lane
- The Beatles: Eight Days a Week – The Touring Years [1962-1966]
- Swiss Army Man
- The Shallows
- Sing Street
- Doctor Strange
- The Birth of a Nation
- Southside with You
- The Little Prince
- Captain America: Civil War
- Don’t Think Twice
- The Witch
*I was unemployed for most of 2014, hence the larger number of films watched that year.