These are my 19 favorite films this year. I’ve never been much of a superhero fan, but The Batman and new Doctor Strange were quite enjoyable, as well as the Werewolf by Night special. On the wave of Marvel’s Multiverse Saga, A24 added to the mayhem with Everything Everywhere All at Once. Disney’s other big universe, Star Wars, brought us several new series; I didn’t see them all, but Obi-Wan Kenobi was my favorite. In the Golden Globes nominations, Top Gun: Maverick deserves Best Drama, and Everything Everywhere as Best Musical/Comedy, although there are a number of nominees I have yet to see.
- Letterboxd – Zepfanman’s 2022 year in review (for my top 19). I wrote 70 reviews, of which Annie G. Galloping (1887) was probably the most significant, in relation to the new film Nope.
- Trakt – Zepfanman’s history (if you’re curious about TV shows I’m watching)
- 10 Years 10 Films, Part 7 – In August, I released the next decade (from 1948-1957) of my ongoing review of world cinema.
I rewatched a lot of pre-1920s films again this year, thanks to discovering the One Week One Year podcast/video series. I also watched a number of shorts from the new collection of Cinema’s First Nasty Women.
Here’s a list of films from 2022 I didn’t get a chance to see yet: Turning Red, Don’t Worry Darling, Smile, The Bad Guys, Kimi, Three Thousand Years…, All Quiet…, Apollo 10 1/2, Pearl, Studio 666, Aftersun, The Unbearable Weight…, Joyland, Descendant, Triangle of Sadness, The Whale, Wakanda…, The Menu, and The Banshees….
And last but not least, a list of my favorite films I watched in 2022 for the first time (sorted by release date):
- 14 Peaks: Nothing Is Impossible (2021)
- The Beatles: Get Back (2021)
- Licorice Pizza (2021)
- Drive My Car (2021)
- Summer of Soul (2021)
- Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It (2021)
- Muse: Simulation Theory (2020)
- Dick Johnson Is Dead (2020)
- Straight Outta Compton (2015)*
- Hellraiser (1987)
- It’s Flashbeagle, Charlie Brown (1984)
- Kummatty (The Boogeyman; 1979)
- Four Women (1975)
- The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957)*
* 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die – I’ve now seen 507 of them.