I recently discovered that, in addition to the national motto “In God We Trust”, there are 5 states and 1 territory that have God in theirs. Colorado and Connecticut imply God in their mottos.
Here are the state/territory mottos (*Explicit mention of God). I tried looking up the official mottos to see how they should be capitalized, but it’s difficult to find all the official codes and statutes. While KY is one of these God states, I included their original seal (1) because I live here, and (2) because it shows “two friends embracing.” The current seal isn’t as intimate.
- *American Samoa: Samoa—Muamua le Atua = Samoa—God Be First
- *Arizona: Ditat Deus = God Enriches
- Colorado: Nil Sine Numine = Nothing Without Providence
- Connecticut: Qui Transtulit Sustinet = He Who Transplanted Sustains
- *Florida: In God We Trust
- *Kentucky: United We Stand, Divided We Fall. In 2002, Kentucky created a second motto, Deo Gratiam Habeamus = Let Us Be Grateful to God.
- *Ohio: With God, All Things Are Possible
- *South Dakota: Under God the People Rule
- List of U.S. state and territory mottos, Wikipedia
- State Religious Mottos in the United States, Ontario Consultants on Religious Tolerance, last updated March 18, 2001
- “In God We Trust” Again Upheld by Federal Appeals Court, Liberty Counsel press release, July 28, 2010
On a related note, did you hear about, the 10 year old boy, Will Phillips of Arkansas, who refused to pledge allegiance until there was truly liberty and justice for all? I wonder if CNN followed through on their story like the reporter said he would.
One response to “Mottos with God”
jesus is the light of the world